Sunday, January 19, 2014

Madewell Reviews

During my excursion to the mall the other day to vent my frustration with the online shopping experience, I decided to stop by the Madewell store.  Surprisingly, I've never bought anything from Madewell and rarely stop in the stores.  For some reason, their collection just always seemed a little too...bland.  

Once I walked in, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the B&M stores are also offering 50% off sale items just like the Crew.  As I perused through the nicely organized and well-stocked racks, I found a few things to try on:


Gamine Sweater - $49.99 plus add'l 50% off - Size Small





I really liked this.  Like, really really liked it.  I know it seems simple, but it was precisely for this reason that I thought it would be a good fit in my wardrobe.  In fact, I liked it so much that I wore it out to dinner with my husband that night--pair of heals, my new J.Crew rectangle necklace (posted here) and bam, instant outfit!  

Unfortunately, the good ends here.  It may be for the best that some of these pics are blurry because...ugh.


Silk Bromley Blouse in Tile Dot - (I forgot to take a picture of the price, I think this was marked to $69.99, currently sold out online)








Eh, not awful but not great.  I loved the color, thought the print was cute, but just felt that it was too overwhelming for my frame.  I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the sleeves were just ballooning on my arms, almost like a pirate top...not good.  For reference, I think this was an XS.


Ponte Screenplay Dress - $49.99 minus an add'l 50% off - Size Small







Wow.  Yeah.  I really wanted to like this dress.  The fabric, the color, the price, the pockets!  However, on me it was just a total mess.  It accentuated all the wrong places, plus it showed the outline of my bra (the entire bra).  In addition, there's a weird seam down the middle (I'm not sure you can see it very well in the photos) that just added to all the ways in which this dress was just wrong on me.  The few reviews on Madewell's site indicate other people love this dress.  These people must be taller and thinner than I am because this was a definite pass for me.

Pleated Skirt in Stripe - Size 4






It looks so pretty on the model, why does it look so wrong on me?  So this was another item that just accentuated the wrong places.  It cut off my waist and made it look thick while also poufing (is that a word?) out at the hips.  Yeah, definite pass on this one.

See on Rose at One More Shopping Blog (here), looking much lovelier on her.


Before I left, I did (discreetly) snap a few pics of some items that caught my eye:

The Sketchbook Bag - $138.00 (currently only listed in Black Online, but Sold Out)


Silk Dress in Night Orchid - $160.00


I know this is a long post, but I'll end it soon, promise!  Just wanted to share one more thing:

The Biker Boot in Distressed Leather - Full price online $248.00, on sale in-store $169.99

I didn't snap any pictures, but the store had these on sale for $169.99 (plus an additional 50% off).  There were only a few sizes in the store and I was really tempted to take a pair home, I just wasn't sure how I would wear and style these since this is outside my normal preppy-style range.  But the leather on these boots was gorg-eous!

Anyway, that's it for now!  Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews! I don't think I would've thought to try on that sweater otherwise, and I ended up getting it too. And I really liked the dress, but I'm super flat-chested (a different problem of its own), which is why it must've fit differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I had high hopes for the dress but alas, it was not meant to be. Glad to hear that it ended up working on you though!

      Delete